Allah’s Word Cannot Change

Assalaamu alaikum,
Regarding the verse in the Quran about Allah’s word not changing. Quran 6:115

وَتَمَّتْ كَلِمَتُ رَبِّكَ صِدْقًۭا وَعَدْلًۭا ۚ لَّا مُبَدِّلَ لِكَلِمَـٰتِهِۦ ۚ وَهُوَ ٱلسَّمِيعُ ٱلْعَلِيمُ ١١٥

We can see clearly that Allah’s word can be changed by no man. Allah is more powerful than man and is all-wise. This made me wonder as I considered the previous books revealed to the prophets, the Tawrat, Zabur, and Injeel. Does this mean that these words cannot be altered? Is there anywhere in the Quran or Hadith that talks about the previous books being altered? Verses like Quran 10:94 and Quran 4:113 seem to affirm the previous books. Any thoughts? Thank you.

1 Like

Wa alaikum as salaam

Jazakallah khayrun for your question

Al-Baqarah 2:75 Do you covet [the hope, O believers], that they would believe for you while a party of them used to hear the words of Allah and then distort it [i.e., the Torah] after they had understood it while they were knowing?

Qutaadah said: “The phrase ‘then they used to change it knowingly after they understood it’ refers to the Jews, who used to hear the words of Allaah, then they altered it after they had understood what it meant.”

Abu ‘Aaliyah said: “They took what Allaah had revealed in their Book describing Muhammad (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), and changed its meaning.” Ibn Zayd said: “The phrase ‘[they] used to hear the Word of Allaah (the Tawraat), then they used to change it’ refers to the Tawraat which Allaah revealed to them; they changed it, making what it permitted forbidden, and what was forbidden allowed, changing the truth to falsehood and falsehood to truth…” [Tafseer Ibn Katheer]

An-Nisa 4:46 Among the Jews are those who distort words from their [proper] places [i.e., usages] and say, “We hear and disobey” and “Hear but be not heard” and “Ra’ina,” twisting their tongues and defaming the religion. And if they had said [instead], “We hear and obey” and “Wait for us [to understand],” it would have been better for them and more suitable. But Allah has cursed them for their disbelief, so they believe not, except for a few.

The phrase “[they] displace words from (their) right places” means that they misinterpret them and understand them in a way that Allaah did not intend, doing this deliberately and inventing lies against Allaah. [Tafseer Ibn Katheer]

Al-Ma’ida 5:13 So for their breaking of the covenant We cursed them and made their hearts hardened. They distort words from their [proper] places [i.e., usages] and have forgotten a portion of that of which they were reminded. And you will still observe deceit among them, except a few of them. But pardon them and overlook [their misdeeds]. Indeed, Allah loves the doers of good.

“[They] have abandoned a good part of the Message that was sent to them” means that they stopped following its teachings because they did not want to follow them. Al-Hasan said: “They did not adhere to their religion or keep their duties towards Allaah, without which no deeds are acceptable to Him; their fitrah (innate nature) was not sound and their deeds were not righteous.” [Tafseer Ibn Katheer]

Have a lovely safe day

Salaam

Thank you, mashallah. How is this reconciled to the verse saying that Allah’s word cannot be changed? These verses clearly say the Jews altered it, but if Allah’s word cannot be altered, how did they manage to do it? I know Allah is all-powerful and man cannot make Allah’s plans fail. Allah is stronger than any man.

Assalamu alaikum

Jazakallah khayrun for your question

Sorry I don’t know if I understood your original question properly

I thought I was answering your question about “is there anywhere in The Qu’ran or hadith that talks about the previous books being altered?” but I think I misunderstood your question, sorry.

I will leave it for some other brother or sister to answer it for you who may be able to answer it better than me, in shaa Allah

Jazakallah khayrun and salaam

Tamam,
Thank you for your answer