Answering complaints against the Qu’ran

Salaam,
I want to know how you can respond when people say the Qu’ran contradicts itself. I have heard many people say these things, and I want to know how to best respond. Thank you, alhamdulillah

2 Likes

Assalamu alaikum

I pray that you are well in shaa Allah

Jazakallah khayrun for your question and apologies for only just coming across it. A brother pointed it out to me. Alhamdulillah

Allah teaches in The Qu’ran (interpretation of meaning): Then do they not reflect upon the Qur’an? If it had been from [any] other than Allah , they would have found within it much contradiction” [an-Nisaa’ 4:82].

From the above ayah we learn, that:

1. if one doesn’t reflect upon The Qu’ran/consult sheikhs upon its true meaning then their mind will allow them to believe that there are contradictions when in reality there isn’t, whereas if they reflected upon The Qu’ran in the first place, they wouldn’t find contradiction in it
  2. if The Qu’ran had been from other than Allah it would contain much contradiction (in other words; it is from Allah and does not contain any contradiction)

“Then do they not reflect upon the Qur’an, or are there locks upon [their] hearts?” [Muhammad 47:24].

So, when someone claims that The Qu’ran contradicts itself you could respond with the above ayah and that if they take a moment to really reflect upon The Qu’ran’s words and consult a sheikh about its teachings then they will find that there’s no contradiction in The Qu’ran. Alhamdulillah

And Allah knows best

Salaam

Assalamu alaikum,

Thank you so much for your answer, mashallah.

I used this approach and astaghfirullah the person I was talking to told me that this was fallacious. She said it was circular reasoning to use the Quran to prove the Quran. When I explained to her that doubt veiled her heart and she needed to read the Quran rightly and consult a sheikh, she said that she did read the Quran and found many contradictions, and that it needed to be cross-examined objectively, and since sheiks are “biased” they do not give you an objective view of the Quran. May Allah rightly guide and have mercy. Subhan Allah.

This person told me that this was blind faith, and instead of examining the evidence for the truth that it is the word of Allah, I had the preconceived notion that it is true and thus reverted to circular reasoning to prove that the Quran is the word of Allah instead of actually examining the evidence and then drawing my conclusion, not vice versa. I said that the word of Allah cannot have contradictions, for Allah is all-wise, the Most High. And therefore the Quran cannot have contradictions. She agreed that the word of Allah may not have contradictions, but that I had not proved it was Allah’s word, but instead “begged the question” by assuming the Quran is Allah’s word and then using the Quran to prove it. She even (may Allah have mercy) outlined this argument:

1. The Quran is the word of Allah because it says so.
  2. And this is true because the Quran is the word of Allah.

And said this was fallacious, and I had no logical evidence to prove the Quran is what it says it is- the true word of Allah.

Oh my brothers and sisters, how do I best respond to such things? I know that Allah’s word cannot have contradictions, but what can I say in response to help guide this person? May Allah have mercy, Allah is most merciful and most compassionate.

Thank you all for your help and wisdom, alhamdulillah.

Masalaam

2 Likes

I understand Quran as teaching that the success or failure of your explanation isn’t the goal. Teaching someone the truth of Quran isn’t possible.

We’re instructed to say the same thing to believers and unbelievers alike. Believers will hear glad tidings while unbelievers will hear only painful torment.

If you were able to suddenly enlighten an unbeliever on your own, wow. Only Allah opens the doors. We must only deliver the message.

1 Like

People will need to answer the fundamental question which is, why do they exist in the first place. They will need to have an open mind and heart. No preconcieved ideas, Allah instructs us to believe with certainty.
She should search for it, if she really wants to find the truth. Like @abukahlil says you can only deliver the message and that’s your part taken care of. It’s down to her to ponder and investigate. If they are truthful.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer, mashallah. We must have no preconceived notions about Allah, and we must make duaa for those who do.

1 Like

Thank you, yes only Allah can open people’s hearts and minds to the truth.

2 Likes