Congregational duas for the deceased

I have been bought up believing that it’s ok to pray for the deceased at a fixed date, eg. anniversary of death. Also when a person passes, there would be congregational duas for the deceased after 3, 10 and 40 days. Is this acceptable in Islam? Are there any hadiths that say these actions are not acceptable.

Assalamu alaikum

Welcome to the community and jazakallah khayrun for your question

I pray that you find this forum beneficial, in shaa Allah, and I look forward to some more of your posts.

I will leave the question for another brother or sister, who will know the answer, to provide you with the answer, or if I find the answer in the meantime I will come back to you, in shaa Allah

I have found this if it is useful in the meantime, in shaa Allah, offering dua for the deceased after the burial is prescribed in Islam because of this hadith: Uthmaan ibn ‘Affaan (may Allah be pleased with him) said: When the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) had finished burying a deceased person, he would stand over him and say: “Pray for forgiveness for your brother, and ask that he be made steadfast, for he is being questioned now.” Narrated by Abu Dawood (3221); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Ahkaam al-Janaa’iz, p. 198

Regarding congregational duas being offered after the burial; they are acceptable if only done occasionally and not at set times otherwise it’s a bidah and innovation according to some of the sheikhs.

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) was asked: I see some people standing at the grave after burial of the deceased and offering du‘aa’ for him. Is this permissible? And is there a prescribed du‘aa’ to be said after completion of the burial? Is the du‘aa’ to be offered in congregation, such as if one person says du‘aa’ and the others say Ameen to his du‘aa’? Or should each person offer du‘aa’ on his own? Please advise us, may Allah reward you with good. He replied: The Sunnah that is proven from the Messenger (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) indicates that it is prescribed to offer du‘aa’ for the deceased after burial. When the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) had finished burying a deceased person, he would stand over him and say: “Pray for forgiveness for your brother, and ask that he be made steadfast, for he is being questioned now.” There is nothing wrong with one person saying du‘aa’ and the others saying Ameen, or each person offering du‘aa’ by himself for the deceased. And Allah is the source of strength. End quote from Fataawa ash-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 13/204

Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may Allah have mercy on him) was also asked: What is the ruling on offering congregational du‘aa’ at graves? He replied: There is nothing wrong with it. If one person says du‘aa’ and the others say Ameen, there is nothing wrong with that, so long as it is not done deliberately and it just so happens that they hear one of them saying du‘aa’ and the others say Ameen. In such cases it is not called “congregational” because it is not done deliberately. End quote from Fataawa ash-Shaykh Ibn Baaz, 13/340 And Allah knows best

I hope this helps, in shaa Allah, and sorry I couldn’t be more helpful

Have a lovely week ahead