Getting married to a 2nd wife

Please, I would like to know the Islamic rulings about a man getting married to a 2nd wife and the right of the first wife in relation to this action.

1 Like

Hi Sister (sorry for the earlier mistake),

Assalamu alaikum

Welcome to our community and I hope you find it full of useful information in shaa Allah

Apologies, I have only just came across your post.

A Muslim man can have up to four wives on the condition that he treats them all fairly; if he does not have the capacity and ability to deal with such justice then he should suffice with one.

This situation can be found in Surah Al Nisaa’ ayah 3 which has a meaning which can be translated as:

“…marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if you fear that you will not be able to deal justly (with them) then only one…” 4:3

This website should also help as to what the rights of the first wife are in shaa Allah. First wifes permission not condition for validity of second marriage - Islamweb - Fatwas

May Allah make it easy for us to follow His laws. Ameen.

Salaam,
I was wondering where in the Qu’ran or Hadith I can find where it talks about why the Prophet may have more than four wives. Thank you
Masalaam

1 Like

Assalamu alaikum

Jazakallah khayrun for your question

I will leave this answer for another brother or sister to answer properly for you whom may know where in The Qu’ran or hadith it teaches this as I can’t see it anywhere in The Qu’ran or sunnah where it teaches the reason for the Prophet (s.a.w) having this many wives. However, I have came across Islam QA and other sources of sheikhs that teach the reasons for this.

Salaam

1 Like

Thank you very much
Salaam

1 Like

I think today’s Verse might help explain why Rasulallah was permitted so many wives:

Ayat of the Quran

Verse No: 30

يَا نِسَاءَ النَّبِيِّ مَنْ يَأْتِ مِنْكُنَّ بِفَاحِشَةٍ مُبَيِّنَةٍ يُضَاعَفْ لَهَا الْعَذَابُ ضِعْفَيْنِ ۚ وَكَانَ ذَٰلِكَ عَلَى اللَّهِ يَسِيرًا

O ye wives of the Prophet! Whosoever of you committeth manifest lewdness, the punishment for her will be doubled, and that is easy for Allah.
Al-Ahzab (The Allies) »

It wasn’t a one way street in their regard. Marriage to Rasulallah was beyond special.

However, I also believe this applies to devout sisters even today. “Wives of the Prophet” could (and likely) also means married women who hold Rasulallah as the truth in their lives.

But above all, I believe The Prophets’ wives are peculiarly special in that regard. This verse shows they’re also double in importance.