Giving dawah to the non-Muslims

Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters

It is a duty upon us, as believers, that we invite each other and non-Muslims to enjoin what is right and forbid what is evil, and to invite each other to that which pleases Allah, whilst turning away from that which displeases Him, and of course, to ensure that we ourselves do this first and foremost.

It is our duty to speak up against or act against any form of injustice or wrongdoing in society.

Al-Qaadi Abu Ya‘la said: It is more appropriate for the one who seeks to enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong to be one of the people of discretion, decency, and good character, and one who is accepted and well-liked by people, because if he meets this description, the one whom he enjoins will have respect for him and may respond to him and accept what he says… When a person is like this, his words are more likely to have an impact and be accepted. End quote from his essay al-Amr bi’l-Ma‘roof (p. 47).

An-Nawawi (may Allah have mercy on him) said: The scholars said: With regard to enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong, it is not stipulated that one must be perfect, complying fully with what he enjoins and avoiding fully what he forbids; rather he must enjoin what is right, even if he is falling short in what he enjoins, and he must forbid what is wrong, even if he does some of that which he forbids.

Do you preach righteousness and fail to practice it yourselves, although you read the Scripture? Do you not understand? Qu’ran 2:44

O believers! Why do you say what you do not do? 61:2 How despicable it is in the sight of Allah that you say what you do not do! 61:3

It was narrated that Usaamah ibn Zayd (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “A man will be brought on the Day of Resurrection and thrown into the Fire; his intestines will spill forth in the Fire and he will go around them as a donkey goes around the millstone. The people of Hell will gather around him and will say: O So and so, what is the matter with you? Did you not enjoin us to do what is good and forbid us to do what is evil? He will say: Yes, but I used to enjoin good and not do it, and I used to forbid evil and do it.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (3267) and Muslim (2989).

Anas narrated that the Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “On the night on which I was taken on the Night Journey (Isra’), I saw men whose lips were being cut off with scissors of fire. I said: ‘O Jibreel, who are these?’ He said: ‘These are the khateebs from among your ummah who used to enjoin righteousness on the people and forget themselves, and they used to recite the Book but they did not understand.’” Narrated by Imam Ahmad (13515); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in as-Silsilah as-Saheehah (291).

Undoubtedly the most effective and beneficial of people in enjoining what is right and forbidding what is wrong, and the best of them in his call, is the one who complies with what he enjoins and avoids what he forbids, as in the case of the Messengers. Shu‘ayb (peace be upon him) said: “I wish not, in contradiction to you, to do that which I forbid you. I only desire reform so far as I am able, to the best of my power” [Hood 11:88].

May Allah forgive us of any shortcomings, and accept our righteous deeds from us, and guide us on the straight path and make us amongst those who practice what we invite others to of righteousness whilst avoiding that which is evil. :palms_up_together:t3:

Salaam