Main Course: Paprika Chicken and Creamy Potatoes

This is what we had for our main course on my ‘Come dine with me’ day.

The photo is not so great, because everyone was quite hungry by that time and wouldn’t wait for me to serve them nicely :woman_facepalming:t4:

Paprika chicken

STEP 1
Season 4 chicken thighs all over with salt. Heat 2 tbsp. of oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high. Working in 2 batches, cook chicken, skin side down, until skin is golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate.

STEP 2
Cook 1 onion in same pot, stirring often, until softened and edges are browned, 8–10 minutes. Add 5 garlics and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add 2 tbsp. of paprika and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

STEP 3
Add 28 oz. canned tomatoes and smash with a wooden spoon until no pieces are bigger than ½". Bring to a simmer and cook until tomatoes are slightly thickened, 6–8 minutes. Add 3 cups of stock, 1 ½ pounds of sweet potatoes, and chicken and return to a simmer.

STEP 4
Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally and adding more stock if needed to keep potatoes submerged, until chicken is very tender and potatoes are creamy, 75–90 minutes. Remove from heat; taste and add more salt or paprika if needed.

STEP 5
Squeeze juice from ½ a lemon into a small bowl and stir in ¾ cups of sour cream; season with salt. Toss 6 radishes and a pinch of salt in another small bowl.

STEP 6
Transfer stew to a platter and drizzle sour cream over (you can also serve alongside if you prefer). Top with radishes, drizzle with a little oil, and season with lots of pepper.

Creamy potatoes

STEP 1
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the 1 milk in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer. Thicken with the 2 tsp. of corn flour and simmer for 1 minute, then add ½ tsp. smoked paprika and ½ cup of grated cheese and stir until smooth and creamy.

STEP 2
Arrange the 750g of potato wedges in close rows on a baking paper-lined tray and bake for 15 minutes or until just starting to crisp up. Pour over the cheese sauce, sprinkle with another ½ cup of grated cheese then bake for a further 10 minutes until the wedges are golden and crispy.

STEP 3
Sprinkle over 1 spring onion and serve with sweet chilli sauce to drizzle on top.

5 Likes