Ruling on saying "merry Christmas"

Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters

I pray that all are well, in shaa Allah

One might wonder whether it is permissible to say “merry Christmas” to those celebrating the festivities; so this covers that topic.

According to scholars; it is absolutely forbidden to wish one a merry or happy Christmas because Christmas is relating to a religion other than Islam, and Christianity is based on shirk, so to wish one a merry or happy Christmas is like saying “happy shirk” to them, so, as Muslims, we have to be very cautious of this.

However, although we can’t give one the greetings of Christmas; we can say “I hope you stay well throughout the festive season” with the intention of “well” here meaning “guidance towards Allah” then pray for their guidance to Islam

Although, not recommended, if one says “Happy new year” it’s not so bad as it’s not a religious festival

And Allah knows best. May He guide us on the straight path and increase our knowledge of benefit and protect us from that which does not bring us benefit. Ameen :palms_up_together:t3:

Jazakallah khayrun for reading my post and may Allah bless all of the ummah with goodness in both worlds and protect us from harm. Ameen :palms_up_together:t3:

Assalamu alaikum

1 Like

Wa Alaykum Assalam wa Rahmatullah my dear Brothers and Sisters.
with the right intention of bringing hearts closer towards Allah Taalaa and offering a gentle gesture of kindness and recognition (of the birth of Issa Ibin Maryam- alayhi salam) is not Shirk in any respect. Issa (Ibn.Maryam) is a Nobel prophet of Allah (subhanahu wa taala) and shares a similar miracle to that of Adam (alayhi salam) in the the respect of creation(they were created both from Soil and Allah said Be and they Were There!!!) .
Recognising the Birth of our holy Prophet(s) (may Allah give his beautiful peace and blessing upon them all) is actually a form thankfulness and glorification towards Allah taalaa. with gratitude of his constant mercy and guidance towards human(s)/creation(s) -alike from the beginning of Time as we know it.
Naturally with the condition that we are NOT considering any prophet to be a relative to any Godly deity or similar as Allah has said in Surat al Ikhlaas (He [Allah talaa] was NOT Born , NOR did he give Birth)

Assalamu alaikum brother

Jazakallah khayrun for your response to my post and welcome back to our community. I hope you find it useful, in shaa Allah

Could I please ask that you kindly submit proof to support your response, where 1) Allah teaches we can celebrate a birthday at all (ie recognize the birth of our prophets, a.s), and 2) where Allah even mentions their birth dates in The Qur’an or in the sunnah of our beloved Prophet (s.a.w)?

Have a lovely day in shaa Allah

I look forward to your proofs. Jzk and assalamu alaikum.

1 Like

I agree, even the Christians dispute when the birthday of Isa (AS) is. Even if we knew it was the right date, it’s not an islamic thing to do without any proof from the sharia.
Barak Allahu feekum.

2 Likes

Jazakallah khayrun for your response and assalamu alaikum, welcome back :blush:

Ma’shaa’Allah that you agree with me. Alhamdulillah

May Allah bless you too

I pray that you are well in shaa Allah and have a lovely afternoon

Salaam

I’m baptized and I can tell you that it’s not really about Jesus’ Birthday. It’s about a Mass celebrating Christ and the Word of God. The whole birthday thing is just because celebrating Jesus starts at his birth, not about his actual birth DAY.

So if you say Merry Christmas, You’re actually saying “Be joyful in your celebrating of Jesus Christ, a True Prophet!”

However almost no Christians I know understand this lol . They all think it’s about the birthday.

Again. ChristMAS is about a Religious Service specifically and pointedly celebrating Jesus rather than other prophets and scriptures. That’s all. It’s not about any birthday. Jesus just starts at birth. “And Isa Son of Mary spoke from the crib”