Starter: Potato vol - au - vents

Because this year we are in a lock down and won’t be going out for iftaar dinners we decided to hold some ‘Come Dine With Me’ dinners at home. So my night was the first Friday of Ramadhan and this is what I made for the starter.

Potato vol - au - vents

STEP 1
Roll the 500g of puff pastry out on a lightly floured work surface until about 40cm x 40cm and 5mm thick. Use a round 12cm cutter to cut 8 circles from the pastry. Put 4 of the circles onto a baking paper-lined tray, then use a round 8cm cutter to make rings from the remaining 4 circles.

STEP 2
Brush the 4 circles on the baking paper with 1 beaten eggs, then neatly lay over the rings onto each. Prick the middles with a fork. Put the inner circles onto the baking tray too and brush everything with more beaten egg. Chill for 20 minutes.

STEP 3
Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Give all the pastry another good brush with egg, then put into the oven for 20 minutes until risen and golden. Cool.

STEP 4
To make the creamy potato sauce, tip the 150 ml of grape juice into a small pan and reduce by ½. Add in 150 ml of double cream, season lightly with salt and lots of black pepper, and reduce until a thick coating consistency. Add in the 300g of cooked potatoes, zest of 2 lemons and juice of ½, and season. Stir in some dill.

STEP 5
Spoon the mixture into the vol-au-vents, put on the lids and serve.

3 Likes