The month of Sha'ban and its importance

Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters

I pray that all are well in shaa Allah

Here’s an article on the importance of this beautiful month Sha’ban and the importance of observing it. Alhamdulillah.

Unfortunately a lot of Muslims just use this month as a countdown to Ramadan, astaghfirullah, not fully understanding the significance of observing it.

There’s actually a lot of reward to observing this beautiful month and it’s a great opportunity to prepare for the month of Ramadan, ma’shaa’Allah

Sha’ban is one of the most important months of the year according to Sheikh Dr Muhammad Salah on his Facebook post about this beautiful month

Here’s also a video by this same sheikh: https://www.islamic-waves.com/2011/07/sheikh-muhammad-salah-importance-of.html

Sha’ban has such significance that the Prophet (s.a.w) talked about its virtues

Many authentic hadith speak about the Prophet’s (S.a.W) fast during the month of Sha’ban.

Sunan An Nasa’i 2176. Book 22. Hadith 87.
It was narrated that Umm Salamah said: “The Messenger of Allah used to join Shaban to Ramadan.” ’

Sunan An Nasa’i 2177. Book 22. Hadith 88.
It was narrated from Abu Salamah bin ‘Abdur-Rahman that he asked Aishah about the fasting of the Messenger of Allah. She said: “The Messenger of Allah used to fast until we said: ‘He will not fast.’ And he used to fast Shaban, or most of Shaban.”’ ’

Sunan An Nasa’i 2178. Book 22. Hadith 89.
It was narrated that Aishah said: “One of us (women) would miss some fasts in Ramadan and she would not be able to make it up until Shaban began, and the Messenger of Allah did not fast in any month as he fasted in Shaban; he used to fast all of it, except a little, he used to fast all of it.” ’

Sunan An Nasa’i 2179. Book 22. Hadith 90.
It was narrated that Abu Salamah said: “I asked Aishah: ‘Tell me about the fasting of the Messenger of Allah.’ She said: 'he used to fast until we said: he is going to fast until we said: He is not going to fast. He never fasted any month more than Shaban. He used to fast (all) of Shaban except a little, he used to fast all of Shaban.”’ ’

Sunan An Nasa’i 2180. Book 22. Hadith 91.
It was narrated that Abu Salamah said: “I asked Aishah: ‘Tell me about the fasting of the Messenger of Allah.’ She said: 'he used to fast until we said: he is going to fast until we said: He is not going to fast. He never fasted any month more than Shaban. He used to fast (all) of Shaban except a little, he used to fast all of Shaban.”’ ’

Sunan An Nasa’i 2181. Book 22. Hadith 92.
It was narrated that Aishah said: “The Prophet used to fast Shaban.” ’

Sunan An Nasa’i 2186. Book 22. Hadith 97.
It was narrated from Jubair bin Nufair that a man asked Aishah about fasting and she said: “The Messenger of Allah used to fast all of Shaban, and he made sure to fast on Mondays and Thursdays.” ’

Sunan An Nasa’i 2187. Book 22. Hadith 98.
It was narrated that 'Aishah said: “The Messenger of Allah used to fast Sha`ban and Ramadan, and he made sure to fast on Mondays and Thursday.”

It is disliked to fast the middle-end part of Sha’ban for those not used to fasting regularly. However for those who fast regularly there is no problem fasting it. For those who are not used to fasting regularly; once the middle part of Sha’ban arrives they should leave their fast in preparation for the obligatory fast in the month of Ramadan

Sha’ban is a month that lies between the months of Rajab and Ramadan

The Prophet (s.a.w) said: “It is a month in which the deeds are raised to the Lord of the worlds and I like for my deeds to be raised while I am fasting.” (Al-Nasā’ī 2357)

According to authentic hadiths; deeds are raised to Allah on three occasions:

• Daily: Every day during Fajr and Asr prayers
  • Weekly: Every Mondays and Thursdays (that’s why the Prophet, s.a.w, would fast on them days and recommends us to do the same)
  • Yearly: In the month of Sha’ban

These hadiths talk about those occasions:

In Saheeh Muslim (179) it is narrated that Abu Moosa al-Ash’ari (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) stood up before us and told us five things. He said: “Allaah, may He be glorified and exalted, does not sleep and it is not befitting that He should sleep. He lowers the Balance and raises it; the deeds of the night are taken up to Him before the deeds of the day, and the deeds of the day before the deeds of the night…” Al-Nawawi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The recording angels go up with the deeds of the night after it ends, at the beginning of the day, and they go up with the deeds of the day after it ends, at the beginning of the night.

Al-Bukhaari (555) and Muslim (632) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “The angels of the night and the day come to you in succession, and they meet at Fajr prayer and at ‘Asr prayer, then those who stayed among you ascend and their Lord asks them, although He knows best about them, ‘How did you leave My slaves?’ and they say, ‘We left them when they were praying and we came to them when they were praying.’”

Al-Haafiz ibn Hajar said: This indicates that deeds are taken up at the end of the day. Whoever is in a state of obedience at that time will be blessed in his provision and his work, and Allaah knows best. Hence we can see the wisdom behind the command to perform these prayers (Fajr and ‘Asr) regularly and pay attention to them.

Muslim (2565) narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “People’s deeds are shown [to Allaah] twice each week, on Monday and Thursday, and every believing slave is forgiven except a person between whom and his brother there is a dispute, and it is said, ‘Leave these two until they reconcile.’”

Al-Nasaa’i (1257) narrated that Usaamah ibn Zayd (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: I said: O Messenger of Allaah, I do not see you fasting as much in any month as you fast in Sha’ban. He said: “That is a month concerning which the people are heedless, between Rajab and Ramadaan, but it is a month in which good deeds are taken up to the Lord of the Worlds, and I would like my deeds to be taken up when I am fasting.” Classed as hasan by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’.

Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The deeds of the year are taken up in Sha’baan, as the truthful one (the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) has told us. The deeds of the week are shown on Monday and Thursday, the deeds of the day are taken up at the end of the day before night comes, and the deeds of the night are taken up at the end of the night, before day comes. When a person’s life comes to an end, all his life’s deeds are taken up and the record of his deeds is closed. End quote from Haashiyat Sunan Abi Dawood.

In Sunan al-Tirmidhi (747) it is narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Deeds are shown (to Allaah) on Mondays and Thursdays, and I would like my deeds to be shown when I am fasting.” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Irwa’ al-Ghaleel (949)

Dr Muhammad Salah:
'One year of our life will be raised. That’s 365 days. We should ask ourselves. How many days of them did we fast? Allah came down in each night, how many nights of them did we wake up to pray, make Dhikr and Dua? How many days did we read Quran? Give charity, feed the poor?

Every small and great deed we have done has been recorded and all will be raised up to the Lord of the Worlds, whether we were aware of our deeds or not everything will be accounted for. Every word, every glance, every harm we inflicted on others, every good we did will be presented to Allah. These are not easy days, these are one of the most crucial days of the year. The question is will Allah accept our deeds? Will Allah be pleased with our deeds and will our deeds earn us Paradise?

We need to perform as many good deeds as possible with the hope that our deeds for the year will be lifted while we are in a state of obedience and servitude to Allah. Allah in the Quran warns us about heedlessness’.
“… and do not be among the heedless (Ghafaleen)” 7:205

Because being heedless is not the characteristic of a true believer. A true Mu’min is always heedful, always alert and aware. When something is given importance by Allah or the Prophet (s.a.w); we must seek the opportunity to benefit from it as much as possible.

Since Sha’ban is a month which is neglected by many, it’s highly encouraged to increase our worship and righteous deeds for the sake of Allah in this month, especially fasting. The reason why the Prophet (p.b.u.h) would fast much

He liked that his deeds would be taken up to Allah in a state of fasting. Referring to An-Nasa’i 2179 that he (s.a.w) would fast all of that month except a little.

We need to push ourselves in this month to fast; the reward is great. Alhamdulillah

Even if we just fast Mondays and Thursdays is better than not fasting during this month at all, and if not then, we should fast the three white days (13th, 14th, and 15th) which are recommended to fast every month as well.

It’s not a sign of true imaan, for those who are able to; to just let this month go by without fasting any of it. It’s a sign of heedlessness which the Prophet (s.a.w) warned us not to be from among. And fasting gives our deeds a much better chance of being accepted when they are being presented to Allah.

The Prophet (s.a.w) mentions about “Islam began as a something strange and it will return to being strange, so blessed are the strangers.” Sahīh Muslim 145

Nearing the end of the world when there’s so much corruption about and a lot of distractions and fitnah; not many people will take worship seriously. Most will be ungrateful and not many will be from those who will have constant Dhikr of Allah, and follow The Qu’ran and Sunnah strictly. Only a few people will leave their beds at night to engage in worship of Allah.

“… Their sides forsake their beds, to invoke their Lord in fear and hope…” (32:16)

So, due to many people not taking acts of worship so seriously; only a few individuals would recognize the significance of Sha’ban and put in the effort of making the most of it.

So, as Muslims, we should spend our time doing righteous actions for the pleasure of Allah; listening to The Qu’ran, reciting it, acting upon it. The remembrance of Allah, repentance towards Allah, seeking the forgiveness of Allah, Sunnah prayers (including tahajjud; the last third of the night about 20 minutes before Fajr), and performing acts of charity.

We shouldn’t wait until Ramadan to begin our good deeds; it would mean missing out on loads of rewards in the meantime and no-one, apart from Allah, knows when our soul shall be taken. Just imagine returning to Allah having missed out on this opportunity of getting much reward.

“Sha’ban is a month when the Salaf would commit so much to the Quran. They would call it the month of reciting the Quran to the point that one would close down his shop to focus only on the Quran.” Dr Muhammad Salah.

Yet, nowadays, so many Muslims look for excuses as not to pray at night or read The Qu’ran, but instead they spend hours playing games, watching TV, going on Tik Tok and other useless worldly things that do not bring them any sustenance from Allah, astaghfirullah.

We must be grateful towards Allah by using our sustenance and time He has provided us with in a wise manner that will bring us nearer to Him and hopefully, in shaa Allah, be the reason for our true success and the reason for us entering the gates of Jannah.

May Allah make us from amongst those who spend in His cause (from our time, efforts and wealth) and for us to be among those who He admits into His beautiful Gardens of Paradise (Jannah) and of those who as a result of our righteous deeds He will blot out all of our shortcomings and increase our good deeds and pile them up high before us on the Day we stand before Him, and to make us amongst the 70,000 who will enter Paradise without reckoning and increase us with a beneficial knowledge. Ameen :palms_up_together:t3:

Jazakallah khayrun for reading

Salaam