Things to do on Lailatul Qadr

Assalamu alaikum brothers and sisters

Alhamdulillah, the last 8 nights of Ramadan are here. One of them is going to be Lailatul Qadr unless it was one of the two previous nights, one of the last ten nights of Ramadan are guaranteed to be The Night of Decree in shaa Allah.

In shaa Allah, we will manage to catch this special night and all of the blessings that come with it for this life and the next, and as a result of this beautiful month and this beautiful night Allah will forgive us of all of our sins. Ameen.

Here are some things to do to ensure we don’t miss this night and all of the blessings that come with it:

• correct our intentions ensuring that everything we do is for Allah’s pleasure alone and us receiving His forgiveness and blessings

• supplicate: Aisha (may Allah be pleased with her) said: “O Messenger of Allah! What if I knew which night Lailatul-Qadr was, then what should I say in it?” He (s.a.w) said.- “Say.- [Allahumma innaka 'affuwwun tuhibbul 'afwa fa’fu 'annee. O Allah, You are the One Who pardons greatly, and loves to pardon, so pardon me].” At-Tirmithi and Ibn Majah

• perform Taraweeh, Tahajjud and other sunnah prayers.
• Supplicate for whatever will benefit you in the dunya and akhirah
•read/recite The Qu’ran, preferably in Arabic, but if you don’t know Arabic it’s still okay to read its translation in your language so that you understand its teachings. It’s a good idea to supplicate from The Qu’ran also (ie. Allah talks about disbelievers/jahannam; therefore: “Ar Rahman Ar Raheem, we seek Your protection from becoming a disbeliever after truth has come to us and We seek Your forgiveness, Al Ghafoor, and protection from Jahannam. Ameen”)

•donate on each ten nights to a charity of your choice

These Juz may help you in reading The Qur’an, and for any future Ramadans if we live long enough to see any more, in shaa Allah

Now on to supplications. Here are some I have thought of myself or someone else has thought for me, in shaa Allah it will help you (feel free to post more in the comments section as and when you think of them and to share my posts with family and friends):

“O Allah, grant me the sense of piety and purify my soul, as You are the best to purify it. You are its Guardian and Protecting Friend.” Sahih Muslim Book 17, Hadith 15

“O Allah, I beg You to grant my soul its proper taqwa, and to refine it. You are the best in refining. You are its Helper and Master. O Allah, I seek refuge in You from knowledge that is not beneficial, a heart that is not submissive, a soul that is not contented, and a supplication that is not answerable.” Sahih Muslim #2722

Ya Allah, only take our soul as a believer being near to You and amongst those pleasing to You, and being amongst the successful of Jannah. Ameen

Those are the ones for whom Allah does not intend to purify their hearts. For them in this world is disgrace, and for them in the Hereafter is a great punishment Qu’ran 5:41 Ya Allah, protect us against hypocrisy and disbelief, and from uttering a thing of falsehood. Ameen

Protect us, Ar Rahman Ar Raheem, from fitnah, from gaining Your wrath and curse, and from harm coming to us, and protect us from Your punishment in the dunya and akhirah, and from disgrace, and Ghafoor, forgive us and purify our hearts, speech and actions, and reward us. Ameen.

Ya Allah, Ar Rahman, protect us against that which You warn us against (ie Jahannam) and grant us that which You give good tidings of (ie Jannah/Jannatul Firdous). Only take our souls when we are pleasing to You and a person of the Highest Paradise, Al-Firdous. Ameen.

Ya Allah protect us from disbelief after belief has came to us, accept our deeds from us, make our good deeds weigh heavy on the Day we meet You, give us our book in our right hands, make us of the 70,000 entering Jannah without reckoning and protect us from Your punishment.Ameen

Ar Rahman Ar Raheem, make us amongst those who at the time of our death we are comforted by the fact that our loved ones we leave behind are looked after by You so we feel reassured by You and Your angels on leaving this world behind, with the knowledge that our loved ones will be taken care of by You. Ameen.

Ar Rahman, protect us from becoming defiant and disobedient towards You and Your Messenger (s.a.w) and protect us from taking them, the defiantly disobedient, as friends. Ameen.

Ya Allah, Ar Rahman Ar Raheem; do not let us fall into disbelief after belief has came to us and grant us of Your mercy and protect us from Your punishment. Ameen.

Accept our righteous deeds, Ar Rahmaan. Forgive us, Ar Raheem Al Ghafoor. Protect us from wrongdoings, for You are the best protector. Never leave us to stray even for a second and always guide us on the path You favor and admit us into gardens which rivers flow in. Ameen.

Al Ghafoor Ghafaar Ar Rahman Raheem, Forgiving All-Forgiving Most Merciful. You are the Forgiving and You love forgiveness so grant us of Your mercy and forgive us of our misdeeds committed knowingly and unknowingly, and replace them with good deeds heaped up and give us our book of records in our right hand on the Day we stand before You, Ya Allah. Ameen.

Ya Ghafoor Ghafaar forgive us of our sins - past, present and future that we acknowledge as well as the ones we don’t acknowledge. Ameen.

Al-Muhaymin, You are the Preserver of Safety; so we call on You for Your protection from harming others; protection from bad decision; protect us from all evil: from the punishment of the hell-fire and grave, the shaytaans, humans, evil of our own soul etc, and protect us against anyone who plots evil, and we seek refuge with You from every devil, the one eyed beast, magicians and the evil eye etc, bid’ah, disbelief, major and minor hypocrisy, and major and minor shirk. Ameen.

Make the trials of life and death easy for us, O Merciful One, grant us good in this world and good in the hereafter, success in this world and success in the hereafter, accept our good deeds from us and make them weigh heavy on the scales on the Day we stand before You, Sovereign of the Day of Reckoning. Ameen.

Grant us good intentions and guide us to pious deeds and morals, for You are the best Guide, Ya Allah, and the Knower of all that is visible and invisible, and that which is hidden within the breasts, so that we may be amongst the righteous. Ameen.

Allah, You are the Provider of all things; if You were to take away sustenance from us then no-one could provide it for us, and if You were to provide us with sustenance then no one can take it from us. You are the best of Planners and the Self-Sufficient master. So, we call upon You, to grant us with life and provisions, security, of Your Mercy, Peace and blessings, Ar Rahman Raheem, As Salaam. Ameen.

You are the best of Healers, Ya Allah, so we turn to You and beg You to cure us of any sicknesses that we know of and are unaware of, for You are the Knower of all things, and You are the best of Planners, so we call upon You, O Merciful One, Ar Rahman Raheem, to protect us against ill-health in the future (Dementia, cancer etc). Ameen.

You are the Forgiver, Al Ghafoor Ghafaar; so make our heart submissive to You, O Allah, full of tenderness and humbleness, and remove any evil from our soul and replace it with goodness, for You are the Pure One, and You love purity, that will lead us to our ultimate goal, Jannatul Firdous. Ameen.

We seek refuge in You, Ar Rahmaan Raheem, from undesirable manners, deeds and aspirations, and we call upon You to Guide us on the straight path that You have favored, and for us to be able to recognize our faults and have the ability to change them for the best, Ya Allah, beautify our character and tongue. Ameen.

We seek refuge in You, Allah, for You are our Protecting Friend and the Best of Protectors, from the declining of Your favors, the passing of safety, from Your punishment suddenly coming upon us and from all that displeases you, from anxiety, sorrow, weakness, laziness, miserliness, cowardice, debts, grief, helpless old age and from being over powered by men and jinn. Ameen.

You, Allah, are the All-Knowing; the Mighty, so grant us knowledge that will be beneficial to us, assist us to remember it, and teach us of whatever we are ignorant of it, and grant us a good concentration and memory. Ameen.

You love Gratitude, O Magnificent One, so make us from amongst Your grateful servants for the blessings You have bestowed upon us and never let our blessings be a witness against us on the Day of Resurrection (eg. In our body, family, knowledge, wealth etc). Make us utilize these blessings in a good beneficial way, a way pleasing to You, and a way that leads us to the gates of Jannah. Ameen.

Sovereign of the Day of Reckoning, make us be pleased on this Day all of humanity have to stand before You as You created us the first time (bare) and in rows, give us our book of scrolls in our right hand, grant us the highest level of Paradise (Jannatul Firdous) in which Your throne lies above, and make us from amongst the 70,000 that will enter Paradise without reckoning, to cross the bridge safely into Jannah and to overcome all obstacles, without humiliation, whilst saving us from the punishment of Jahannam. Ameen.

O Protecting Friend and Guide, we call upon You, Ya Allah, to protect us from the punishment of the grave, to make us die when we are at the highest level of faith and You are most pleased with us, and to make the soul come out of the body like fine musk with peace, and ease, with the soul’s pleasure of meeting You, Ya Rabb, looking forward to Your promised reward, and Your pleasure of meeting us. Ameen.

You love beauty, Ya Allah, so we call upon You to grant us a beautified grave which is light and widened as far as the eye can see, and to make the questioning in the grave easy for us, for You do not like to put hardship upon Your servants. Ya Rabb, make us at peace, As-Salaam, within the grave, without any fear reaching us, wrap us in clothes from Paradise, make the angel of death inform us of Your pleasure and forgiveness, and open the gates of Paradise for us, make our soul come out of the body whilst praising You alone for You are the Most Praiseworthy and the only One worthy of all worship. Only take our soul, on pure monotheism, oh Pure One, with no debts on us at the time of our death, and do not let any shaytaan be present at the time of our death, and take our soul in the company of the righteous and do not place us among those who are guilty of wrongdoing. Ameen.

O Lord, do not leave me in charge of my affairs for even a blink of an eye and rectify all of my affairs. None has the right to be worshipped except You. Ameen.

Remember, reciting Surah Al- Ikhlas is equal to reading or reciting a third of The Qu’ran so if we were to recite it 3x we could even get the reward of reciting the whole of The Qu’ran, in shaa Allah. Alhamdulillah. However, it is still a necessity upon us to read the entire Qu’ran as to learn what Allah teaches us, for those who thought they could just recite Surah Al- Ikhlas instead of The Qu’ran. Anyway, Allah’s Mercy to His servants is widespread; it’s unlimited. He is the Ar Rahman Ar Raheem. The Most Compassionate and The Most Merciful so why would anyone not want to strive to learn the whole of The Qu’ran anyway in addition to reciting Surah Al- Ikhlas. This topic can be seen on this link, alhamdulillah: https://islamqa.info/en/answers/10022/the-meaning-of-the-hadeeth-qul-huwa-allaahu-ahad-is-equivalent-to-one-third-of-the-quraan

Al-Bukhaari (6643) narrated from Abu Sa’eed that a man heard another man reciting Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad and repeating it. The next morning he came to the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and told him about that. The man thought that it was too little, but the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “By the One in Whose hand is my soul, it is equivalent to one-third of the Qur’aan.”

Muslim (811) narrated from Abu’l-Dardaa’ that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Is any one of you unable to recite one-third of the Qur’aan in one night?” They said, “How could anyone read one-third of the Qur’aan?” He said, “Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad is equivalent to one-third of the Qur’aan.”

Muslim (812) narrated that Abu Hurayrah said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Gather together, for I will recite to you one-third of the Qur’aan.” So those who could gather together gathered there, then the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out and recited Qul Huwa Allaahu Ahad, then he went in. They said to one another, Perhaps there has been some news from heaven on account of which he has gone inside (the house). Then the Prophet of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) came out and said, “I told you that I was going to recite to you one-third of the Qur’aan. Verily it is equivalent to one-third of the Qur’aan.”

Here’s some speedy ways of gaining rewards, without taking up too much of Your night whilst still reaping the benefits of Lailatul Qadr, in shaa Allah, ameen:

May Allah accept this from me and from everyone who benefits from it. Ameen.

JzK and salaam