What are good authentic duas for our parents?

I would like to know which duas I can make for my mother and father and are there different duas for the alive and dead parents. jazak Allah

1 Like

Praise be to Allah.

It’s an obligatory duty for us to make du’aa’ for our parents and pray for their forgiveness, especially when they grow old and weak and are in need of someone to treat them kindly and take care of their needs. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him. And that you be dutiful to your parents. If one of them or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of disrespect, nor shout at them but address them in terms of honour.

One of the very powerful Dua that Allah has taught us in Qur’an for our parents is in Surah Al-Isra (ayat #24):

"My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was young”

As for after the parents have died, the child can do many things, such as the following:

1 – If he has wealth, and his parents were in debt, he can discharge their duty by paying off the debt for them.

2 – If he has wealth and his parents had not performed Hajj, he may perform Hajj on their behalf, or pay for someone else to perform Hajj on their behalf.

3 – He may pray for forgiveness for them and pray for mercy for them. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“and say: ‘ My Lord! Bestow on them Your Mercy as they did bring me up when I was young’ ” [al-Isra’ 17:24]

Shaykh Ibn Sa’di (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: this means, pray for mercy for them, when they are alive and after they die. Tafseer al-Sa’di, p. 524

It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “A man may be raised in status in Paradise and will say, Where did this come from? And it will be said: From your son’s praying for forgiveness for you.” Narrated by Ibn Maajah, 3660; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Jaami’, no. 1617. This applies if the child has reached the age of discernment and is able to earn money. But if the child is young and does not yet understand things, then these words do not apply in his case.

And Allaah knows best.

3 Likes

رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِى صَغِيرًا
"My Lord! Bestow on them Your mercy as they did bring me up when I was young.’’ Suraah Al-israa, verse 24 This is the best possible ‘dua’ for parents whether alive or not.

4 Likes