What is the best voluntary fast

There are many reasons and many days to fast in, which is the best voluntary fast of them all?

1 Like

To fast a day and leave the next (i.e to fast on alternate days) and that is the best voluntary fasting

Voluntary fasts can be done on any day with the exception of a few. Some days have more merit than others.

Fasting on Mondays and Thursdays

Fasting on Mondays and Thursdays is recommended (mustahab). Here are some ahadith relating to it:

Aishah said: The Messenger of Allah (saw) was keen to fast on Mondays and Thursdays.

Rasulullah (saw) was asked about fasting on Mondays and he (saw) said:

On that day I was born and on that day revelation came to me.

In another hadith:

The Prophet (sawa) was asked about fasting on Mondays and Thursdays, and he said: Those are two days on which people’s deeds are shown to the Lord of the Worlds, and I want my deeds to be shown to Him when I am fasting.

Fasting 3 days of each month (Ayaam al-Beed)

It is also mustahab to fasts 3 days in each Hijri month which are called the Ayaam al-beed this is the 13th, 14th and 15th of each Hijri month.

It was narrated that Abu Dharr said: The Messenger of Allah (saw) said to me, If you fast any part of the month then fast on the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.

Voluntary fasts that are Sunnah

1. The day of Ashura and the day before or after it (two days of fasting)

The Prophet (saw) said, Fasting the day of Ashura (is of great merits), I hope that Allah will accept it as an expiation for (the sins committed in) the previous year.

1. The day of Arafah

The Prophet (saw) said: Fasting on the Day of Arafah absolves the sins for two years: the previous year and the coming year, and fasting on Ashura , (the tenth day of Muharram ) atones for the sins of previous years.

1. Fasting on the saix days of Shawwal

The Prophet (saw) said: Whoever fasts Ramadaan then fasts six days of Shawwaal, it is as if he fasted for a lifetime.

Another saying attributed to Hafsah:

Hafsah said: Four things the Messenger of Allah (saw) never neglected: Observing fast on the day of Ashura, Arafah, three days every month, and offering fajr sunnah prayers early in the morning.

And there are more days in which you can perform voluntary fasts.

3 Likes